Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2013

Sweet Potato Muffins


These babies were sooooooo good. Obviously I don't focus on the presentation with my plastic kid plate and all:) forgive me and just try these for yourself. The way I made them I got 12 muffins at 167 calories a piece. The recipe was adapted from Gweneth Paltrow's recipe from her new cookbook. 

Sweet Potato Muffins

2 small sweet potatoes (cooked and peeled)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil (the recipe called for 1/2 cup oil but I opted to cut that in half and add the applesauce. You could probably just use applesauce and no oil if you want to cut more calories)
1/2 cup skim or almond milk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Splenda (you could try stevia or just use more maple or honey if you don't want the artificial sweetener)
1tsp vanilla
1 cup oat flour (just food process 1 cup of old fashion oats til they are like flour)
1 cup spelt flour (can use whole wheat flour or more oat flour)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp sea salt

Mix wet ingredients. Mix dry ingredients and combine to the wet. Divide into 12 greased or lined muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes. 

And then if you really want to go crazy blend some cottage cheese and blueberries til creamy and smooth and drown your muffin with it, then top with some yummy fresh strawberries...


I really wish I had some of these left cause I really want one.  I kind of think they would be amazing with  fresh blueberries baked in them.  I love baking and it is even more fun knowing my treats are healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment