Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Quinoa Egg Muffins

I did some food prepping last night after putting the kids to bed. I was running low on quick healthy snacks and I had a new recipe I really wanted to try. I got it off Slender Kitchen...love this blog. It's full of healthy recipes if you are in need of some new ideas. I also whipped up some of the turkey muffins from Jamie Eason off Bodybuilding.com. I seriously love them. I have been trying to be brave so I added Sriracha sauce to both muffins and it gave them the perfect kick. I usually don't do spicy but lately I like a little something. Plus I eat less and drink more water when my food is spicy. I now have lots of yummy snacks prepped for the rest of the week. And they are just spicy enough I don't think my kids will end up eating them all:).



Quinoa Egg Muffins

1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup diced veggies of choice 
(I used zucchini and onions and probably used closer to 2 cups)
1/2 cup feta cheese
(I didn't have any so I used 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese)
2 eggs
4 egg whites
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce to taste
(I used Sriracha and just eyeballed it)

Mix everything and bake in muffin tins for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Original recipe says it makes 6 muffins but mine made 10 because I added more veggies. 2 muffins is 185 calories. 

Turkey Muffins
from bodybuilding.com

2 lbs ground turkey or chicken
(I only used 1 lb)
3 egg whites
1 cup oats
(This time I used 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup cooked quinoa)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp pepper
2tsp chipotle pepper spice
(I used Sriracha in place of this)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves)
1 small onion chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
(I didn't have any celery so I used zucchini...yum!)

Mix all the ingredients and bake in muffin tins for 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees. The recipe as written says it makes 12 muffins but it made 12 even with only using 1 lb of meat because I used more veggies I think. Really you can put what you want in these. Don't be shy with the seasonings. 

I will get part two up of my Body by Vi blog series later today. Be sure to check out my first one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment