Search This Blog

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Being Realistic...

Before doing too many blog posts I want to share a little bit with you about me and my life and what works for me when it comes to exercise and eating healthy. 

I am a momma of three (4,2 and 3 months), my husband is in his second year of residency (only 4 more to go...sigh), I teach group exercise classes and I work a little from home, I have church responsibilities, and try hard to keep the house clean...the list goes on.  You know how it is.  This is why the key to making it all work is to keep it simple...and real. 

As much as I wish I could get up at 5am and get my workout in before the kids wake up it is not realistic considering I am often up til 12 am finishing housework or prepping workouts for my training clients and getting up during the night to feed my 3 month old.  I also have a 2 year old who has never been a good sleeper.  I feel like a zombie and truly can't sacrafice any more sleep.

.  Night times don't work either because I am just too tired. Plus I prefer to be home with my hubby at night.

 Instead I go to the gym between 9-11am everyday.  I belong to a gym that has a fantastic childwatch and its free.  I feel comfortable leaving my kids there for an hour while I get my workout in.  This works for us and makes it easy for me to get to the gym 5-6 times a week. 

You have to figure out what works for you.  

You also must find activities that you enjoy.  Unless you are training specifically for an event I believe the best exercise is the one you will consistently do. 

 Exercise can and should be enjoyable

I teach group exercise 2-3 times a week.  It brings me great joy when I hear that people think my class is fun.  If people think my class is fun I know they will come back.  I recently decided I was going to train for a 1/2 marathon.  I have always felt like I should do a longer race but a full marathon is so out of the question for me.  I have absolutely no desire to ever run that far.  In an attempt to train for this 1/2 marathon I started running a couple times a week to get my body use to it.  After a couple weeks I was totally bored.  I just don't enjoy running.  Training for a 1/2 marathon soon became a drag for me. 

I have since found a new goal to work towards.  I will let you in on my plans later but for now I am super excited and totally motivated. 

Once again you have to find what works for you!!! 

When it comes to nutrition make small changes. 

Don't expect to be perfect.  I know I am not. 

 I keep my meals simple.  I do protein shakes for breakfast and lunch.  My snacks often include bananas and peanut butter.  Dinner usually has something to do with a little meat and brocolli.  I am pretty boring but it works for me.  

I recently have made the goal to not eat sugar during the week.  I have a cheat day on the weekends.  I do this because I love sweets and have little to no self control once I start eating them.  Chocolate chip cookies might be my favorite thing in the world:)  It is a good goal for me and it works for me.

I guess what I am trying to say is you need to sit down and really think about what your goals are and how you can realistically obtain them.  I am not saying the path should be easy.  As I have said before if you want to see change you have to be willing to be challenged.  But keep it simple and keep it real. 

Okay enough rambling.  I won't usually be so wordy:) 


2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I always do a shake post-workout and one before bed. Saves so much time and cooking. Loving your blog, I'm going to post about it within this week.

    ReplyDelete