Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Quinoa Stuffed Green Peppers


For some reason stuffed peppers always sounded gross to me.  Lucky for me I was brave enough to try them one day because I discovered that they are quite the opposite of gross.  It is possible I have found one of my new favorite comfort foods.  Even better my kids gobbled them up and asked for more. 

I made the recipe tonight with quinoa and ground beef.  It was yummy but next time I will substitute the beef for black beans to cut back the calories.  I ended up using such a small amount of beef this time I don't think it will be missed.  Once I make that recipe and get the calorie count for it I will update you all. 

As is, the recipe makes 5 stuffed peppers each at 281 calories...not too shabby right?
I did fancy it up with a little parmesan cheese so I guess the total for each pepper was actually 306.

Stuffed Green Peppers
Yeild: 5

5 green peppers
1/2 lb ground beef
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped to desired size
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pkg Near East Rosemary blend quinoa 
(You can use whatever quinoa you want. This is just what I used and calories were calculated using this kind) 
 1-28oz can Diced Tomatoes
1-12 oz jar salsa (Just use your favorite kind)

Directions 
1-Parboil your peppers for about 7 minutes

 2- brown the ground beef, drain and rinse

3-Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil, then add the beef back in the pan.

4-Cook Quinoa according to package 

5- Add tomatoes, salsa and beef mix to quinoa.

6- Stuff peppers with mixture.

7- Bake covered in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or til warmed thru.  

ENJOY!!!        



No comments:

Post a Comment