Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2013

Snacking 101...


Healthy snacking is key to keeping your diet on track.  Here are a few of my go to snacks that I really enjoy....

Homemade Protein Bars/Balls
Click HERE for one recipe (this one is more of a treat)

Another variation can be found HERE
And you can check out a previous post of mine for another yummy one.

Greek yogurt with Peanut Butter
I like to make it with 1/2 cup greek yogurt (60 Calories) and 1 TBSP peanut butter (100 Calories). 
It is still kind of tangy so I add 1 packet of stevia. 
But the more I eat it the less I need the stevia.
You could also add some honey which would be delicious.


Almonds and Apple
1/4 cup of almonds (170 Calories) and a small apple (100 Calories) in my gym bag are the perfect after workout snack.


Cottage Cheese and Fruit
1/2 cup cottage cheese (110 calories cause I like the 4% milkfat walmart brad) topped with pineapple or peaches (60-80 Calories)...one of my favs:)


Scrambled Egg whites and English Muffin with Salsa
4 egg whites on a whole wheat English muffin with 2 TBSP of salsa comes in just under 200 calories. Had this one today:)
Whole Grain Waffles
These are a favorite at our house. My girls request them almost daily for breakfast. I like to have them for a snack with a little peanut butter and banana slices. I usually double the recipe because they keep well in the fridge or freezer.
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Old-Fashioned Oats
1 Egg
2 Cups Buttermilk
(I used 2% milk and added lemon juice since I never have buttermilk on hand)
1 TBSP Molasses
2 TBSP unsweetened Apple Sauce
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder

Pretty much just mix everything together and cook in a waffle iron.  If you use 1/4 cup of batter per waffle the recipe will make 15 waffles at 67 calories each.

Edamame
Another family favorite.  But they are known as slippery beans at our house:).  A 1/2 cup of shelled edamame has aound 115 calories, 10 grams of protein and about 4 grams of fiber. 

 

4 comments:

  1. Great Blog Megan!

    Those snacks are my absolute favorite. I am excited to keep reading. xoxoAshley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, Megan! Keep posting. It's definitely motivating me to eat better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps me too. Thanks for checking it out!

      Delete